Additional navigation for pages within this section of the website
The Shire of Jerramungup is committed to facilitating the inclusion of people with disabilities though the improvement of access to its information, facilities and services. In achieving this goal, the Shire adopted its first Disability Plan in 1995 to address access barriers within the community.
Progress under the Disability Service Plan
Since the adoption of the initial Disability Service Plan in 1995, the Shire of Jerramungup has undertaken a number of initiatives to improve the access and inclusion for disabled persons when upgrading or renovating facilities and services.
1. Provision of disabled access and toilet facilities at the Cameron Business Centre.
2. Provision of disabled access to footpaths and street verges on new infrastructure and road improvements.
3. The provision of more Council documents on the Council website which has enabled members of the public access to Shire publications online.
4. Council has endeavoured to bear in mind and provide access to all persons when designing new buildings and footpaths.
5. Council has supported HACC and Community Aged Care Programs financially and with administration support where possible.
6. A strategic plan was prepared in response to community feedback and systematic analysis. The Strategic Community Plan 2012 - 2025 has been developed to address the challenges of an ageing and decreasing population. Aspiration 16 acknowledges the DAIP and provides a platform for future strategies to be achieved.
7. Improved access was provided to the Needilup Pavilion with the installation of an access ramp and improved toilet facilities for the Needilup Centenary Celebrations.
8. Access has been provided in the toilet facilities located at Pelican Park and Fisheries Beach in Bremer Bay.
9. Council has engaged a consultant to prepare a Master Trail Plan for Bremer Bay which will be designed as a dual multi-use trail loop.
10. Supporting the successful grant application for a Nature Playground at the Jerramungup Occasional Childcare building which will suit all young children regardless of impairments to mental or physical development.
11. Council has installed gas isolation switches in 6 of the aged care units located in Bremer Bay and Jerramungup.
12. Provision of aged care housing in the planning for the Bremer Bay Town Centre.
13. Disabled ramp included in the redevelopment of the Jerramungup Sports Oval.
14. Disabled parking improved in Jerramungup Revitalisation Project.
15. Contributing financially to the newly developed Nature Playground at the Bremer Bay Occasional Childcare Building which will benefit all young children regardless of impairments to mental or physical development.
16. Committed funds towards ablution and facility upgrades at the Jerramungup and Bremer Bay Sports Clubs.
17. Improved footpath network between the Bremer Bay Resort and commercial area in Bremer Bay.
18. Modified a section of the footpath to allow for wheelchair access into Roe Park, Jerramungup.
19. Senior staff attended training in Ravensthorpe provided by the Disability Services Commission.
Disability Awareness Week
Disability Awareness Week is the first week in December and includes the 'Internationl Day of People with Disability' on December 3rd. The week recognises the achievements of individuals, communities, organisations and governments in contributing to a better future for people with disability.
If you would like to help organise an event to recognise International Day of People with Disability this year, or if you need more information please contact our Deputy Chief Executive Officer, on 9835 1022 or by emailing email@example.com
This item was last updated on 8 September 2016
For more information contact:
- Mon - Fri: 8.30am to 4.30pm
- 08 9835 1022
- 08 9835 1161